Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Meet "Jamal Mahjoub"




I just heard about "Travelling with Djinns", a book written by Jamal Mahjoub. Mahjoub was born in London to an English mother and a Sudanese father. He was brought up in London and Khartoum.

About Travelling with Djinna ( I would love to read it!)

Yasin is driving through Europe in a dilapidated Peugeot 504 with his seven-year-old son Leo. He's not sure where they're going. He just knows he's thirty-seven years old, his wife is about to divorce him and this is his last chance to explain to his son who he is and where he comes from. The problem is that Yasin isn't sure of the answer to these questions himself. Born in the Sudan to an English mother and an Arab father, he has two passports but no national identity. As he and Leo drift through Germany to Paris in search of Europe's history, and onwards through Provence to Spain to find Yasin's ex-lover and his lost brother, Yasin reflects on the tragic-comic ironies of his displaced life and the kind of mixed-up world his son will inhabit.

Other Books:-

Navigation of a Rainmaker
Wings of Dust
In the Hour of the Signs
The Carrier
The Drift Latitudes


5 comments:

Dalu said...

Is it wrong that all I could think of is..."he's cute?"

I'll add him to my book list. Man, I'm gonna be buried in books this summer.

that's a good thing. ;')

Daana said...

loool @ dalu....I thought the same thing but I didn't wanna say anything because the post isn't about this :))

Reem said...

Dalu,
ofcourse not! I think so too but really I thought that if I changed the title to meet Jamal Mahjoub "the hottest sudanese author I've ever seen" it's gonna be a bit corny...lakeeen he is good looking!
yes, me 2! my must-read list keeps getting longer n longer
danna, he is soooo cute sa7?

@ dalu and daana
this is an old pic actually, he is way cuter now! he aged pretty well, he is not old though.

Dalu said...

-runs off to google more recent pics- :'p

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I'd really like to read that.